Sir William Jackson Hooker

Botanist
williiam_jackson_hooker.jpg

In 1820 regius professorship of botany in the University of Glasgow. 1821 he brought out the Flora Scotica, in which the natural method of arrangement of British plants was given with the artificial. He worked with the Glasgow botanist and lithographer Thomas Hopkirk to establish the Royal Botanic Institution of Glasgow and to lay out and develop the Glasgow Botanic Gardens.

He was made a knight of Hanover in 1836 and in 1841 he was appointed director of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Under his direction the gardens expanded from 10 to 75 acres (4,000 to 304,000 m²), with an arboretum of 270 acres (840,000 m²), many new glass-houses were erected, and a museum of economic botany was established