George Street Helensburgh
The pilot site selected for Scotland’s first Heroes Centre is a three storey former Victorian railway warehouse and goods yard in George Street Helensburgh. Built around 1854 at the time that the railway was extended into Helensburgh, the warehouse has lain vacant for a number of years.
The building offers plenty of potential as it is not listed and already exists as a large industrial building, offering a huge volume of potential space. The building can easily accommodate a multi-use facility and offers the flexibility for creative design – a blank canvas.
The site lies to the east of the town and is less than a 10 minute walk from the main town centre and the railway station.
It benefits from its easterly location as it is well placed for Hermitage Academy, the Waitrose store and redeveloped Council Office complex at the old Clyde Street School, creating a very healthy potential footfall catchment area.
The George Street Helensburgh site is not situated close to any public houses making it a very safe and non-threatening area for younger members of the community who wish to visit the centre without parental supervision.
It is anticipated that the two storage frontage of the existing building will be demolished and a new glass and steel frontage created which will be built to the existing roof line of the main three storey building. Given the height of the building and its position, the design will include features to take advantage of the potential views across the Firth of Clyde.
The building will be converted to include a diner, two fully digital auditoriums, a Wall of Fame and several digital engagement and training suites.
Planning consent has been granted and a project plan developed which suggests a workable schedule indicating a late 2015 opening.